There’s nothing better than sitting out in the sun and feeling it’s warmth on a beautiful spring day. I was doing this just recently at Coogee and while I was soaking up the sun and drinking a delicious healthy smoothie it got me thinking about how food is not only food it’s also medicine.
You see with mainstream medicine obsessed with using pharmaceutical drugs you can easily forget that the number one most important medicine for your body is your food!
You eat it every day and it’s what your body runs off. When you put the right foods in, try your body heals and repairs itself. But if put the wrong foods in, mind your body deteriorates and disease occurs.
So with spring now here if you want to boost your metabolism to shed some unwanted body fat then you need your thyroid to be functioning optimally.
To help you optimise your thyroid function I’ve put together a list of the 15 best foods for your thyroid.
- Sea vegetables like kelp (seaweed) because they contain iodine which is critical for making thyroid hormone.
- Brazil nuts because they are rich in selenium which activates your thyroid hormone
- Cod liver oil is a naturally rich source of vitamin D which is an essential nutrient for healthy thyroid function
- Proper free range eggs because the hens are out in the grass and eat a much broader range of food like grass, worms, dirt etc. This means the eggs have a greater range of nutrients in them too like vitamin D, vitamin B12, omega 3’s and minerals.
- 100% grass fed beef because cows are meant to eat grass not grains. Grass fed beef contains the amino acid tyrosine (which is what you make thyroid hormone from). As well as vitamin B12 and all the minerals from the soil that comes through the grass the cow eats.
- Sesame seeds because they contain copper and zinc which are both essential for optimal thyroid function and hormone production. You need to make sure the seeds are broken open otherwise they will pass straight through you. So grind them before you eat them or use tahini.
- Pumpkin seeds because they are an excellent source of zinc which helps your cells activate your thyroid hormones.
- Spinach because it is rich in minerals like magnesium, copper, iron and zinc which are all essential for optimal thyroid hormone production.
- Prawns and scallops because they have omega 3 oils and vitamin B12 but mostly they are a rich source of iodine if you don’t like the taste of seaweed.
- Cashews because they are loaded with copper, magnesium and zinc. Important minerals if you want to boost a sluggish thyroid.
- Fermented foods like coconut keffir (keffir is like yogurt probiotic), coconut yogurt, sauerkraut and kombucha (a fermented probiotic drink that’s naturally fizzy and is made from tea and flowers) because they are full of beneficial bacteria that boosts your gut health. While you might not be aware of it many thyroid problems stem from poor gut health because the bad gut bacteria levels are too high. Consuming fermented foods is an easy and delicious way to boost your good gut bug numbers.
So there you have it, 15 medicinal foods you can start eating right now that boosts thyroid function.
This concept of using food as your medicine is basis of my Fat Belly To Flat Belly program. When you load your body up with nutrient rich foods it allows your body to heal itself and your metabolism to run faster.
If you want to burn fat then your body needs nutrients.
To find out how to turn your belly from fat to flat then call Happy & Healthy Wellbeing Centre today on 9524 2471.
Naturopath & healthy natural weight loss specialist.
Resident health expert on series 2 of hit Foxtel show Older Wiser Feeling Younger and featured in Green Living Magazine and SMH online